2026 Getting to know Cayden Cross from Licking Heights

 

 


 Name: Cayden Cross

School/town: Licking Heights, Pataskala

Positions played: Running Back, Outside Linebacker, and Strong Safety

Class: 2027

Height and Weight: 5’10”, 185 lbs

Jersey Number: 8

Awards won or earned: Four-year varsity letterman, JV Player of the Year 2023

HUDL LINK: http://www.hudl.com/profile/19493343

Other sports played: Track

Twitter Handle:  CaydenC2713

What or who got you started playing football?

My G-Pop. Family has always been a big part of my life, so he got me started playing football when I was young. They’ve supported me since I can remember.

What keeps you motivated to play the game?

Wanting to really be successful in life and showcase my skills, wanting to be an athlete representing God, and making sure I’m able to give back to my family who poured so much into me.

What does community buy-in mean to you and the team?

Community buy-in means the community showing up for games, supporting us with team bills and fundraising, and being there for us. It also means us giving back to the community. We just did a mulch sale where we loaded trucks of mulch and delivered it throughout the community. It’s about being there for the community and supporting Licking Heights as one instead of being divided.

What makes you a good teammate?

I feel like what makes me a good teammate is my motivation and my work ethic to push the next man beside me. Iron sharpens iron, and I try to give 100% in everything I do so the next man can do the same. I make sure I take no reps off, but I’m also motivational, not just by the way that I play, but by the way that I act on and off the field. I’m a leader and I try to help the young guys.

RB,OLB,SS: which one do you feel you are better at?

I feel like I’m better at strong safety.

Can you break down for the readers your main responsibility as a strong safety?

My main responsibility is to not let anything get behind me, but also stop the run. I come downhill, make plays throughout the whole field, get interceptions, and just be an all-around player all over the field.

What makes you a good teammate?

I’m always trying to push the person beside me and make everyone around me better. I bring motivation, work ethic, and leadership every day. I want to be someone my teammates can count on, whether that’s making a play, blocking for someone else, or encouraging them.

With this being your final high school football season, are you preparing with more urgency?

I’m definitely preparing with more urgency because the clock is just ticking. I only have 10 guaranteed games this year and then it’s over. I know I have to take advantage of every opportunity and every rep because you never know when it’s going to be your last.

After the season is over, if you are invited to play in any of the all-star games, will you?

If I’m invited to any All-Star games, I would definitely attend and play.

Would you share with the readers some of the schools that you are hearing from?

I’ve heard from Ohio Dominican, Ohio Mount St. Joseph, and Cincinnati for track.

Why should your number be called when the game is on the line?

My number should be called when the game is on the line because I’m always going to give 110%. I’m not going to stop until I reach that end zone or until I make that fumble to get the ball back. I’m going to put everything on the line each and every play because you never know when it’s going to be your last, so you might as well play as hard as you can every play. I’m a team player, so if I’m needed to block so one of my other teammates is given the opportunity, I will.

What has been the biggest adjustment you have had to make with the new coaching staff taking over?

The biggest adjustment is really forgetting all of the things that happened last year. A lot of the coaches are having us really become new people mentally and physically. It really is New Heights, and I think a lot of people, even as of right now, can see a difference in who we are on the field and off the field than even just a few months ago.

What scares you?

Losing my mom.

Who is your favorite athlete?

Jahmyr Gibbs.

Who are your favorite and least favorite pro football teams?

My favorite pro football team is the Pittsburgh Steelers, and my least favorite is the Cleveland Browns.

Post anything from last season that sticks out to you the most. It can be from a practice, a game, the bus ride to or from the game. Any one moment that sticks out to you.

Last year, I swear, my first two touchdowns of the season really stick out to me. It was just a real moment. It felt like the world was stopping. I heard the crowd screaming and saw my mom and my family cheering, and in that moment I felt like I was on top of the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting to know Perrin Cunningham Offensive Line Coach from Licking Heights

2024 Interview with QB/CB/P Brady Hyre from Harrison Central

2025 Interview with Carter Dreibelbis from Upper Dauphin (PA)