2024 Interview with Murray (KY.)Head Coach Melvin Cunningham

Note: I doubt that the coach remembers but I met him briefly at a 7on7/lineman challenge I covered back when he was coaching in Ohio

 

Melvin Cunningham 

Murray High School 

Assistant Principal/Head Football Coach 

Marshall University 

Would you share with everyone your coaching career, from your first job up to your current position?

I have coached in several places. Wharton High School, Tampa, FL; Tug Valley High School, Naugatuck, WV; River City Locomotive, Huntington, WV; Matewan High School, Matewan, WV; Fairland High School, Proctorville, OH. These are in no particular order. I am currently at Murray High School in Murray, Ky. 

What is the biggest difference between Kentucky high school football and Ohio high school football?

I think Ohio football at the top is more competitive. The number of schools that are in Ohio definitely has an impact on the talent that the state of Ohio has to offer.

What are your concerns heading into the 2024 season?

My concern is the youth, who have to play a huge role in the overall success that we are striving for. When you are playing a lot of sophomores and freshmen, there is an acclamation period that you cannot simulate; only the games can provide that experience.

What is the best part of being a high school football head coach?

The best part of being a high school coach is that you have the opportunity to teach life through the game of football. There is nothing as rewarding as the opportunity to be a transformational leader. 

What are your thoughts about students playing multiple sports?

I love multi-sport players. I think it speaks to their work ethic and competitiveness. 

How important is it to you that all of the lower levels throughout the program play a full schedule?

I think it is definitely important that every level has a full schedule. It is important for growing the brand.

How important is it for the lower-level teams to run the same base offense and defense as the varsity team?

I do feel that the teams that feed directly into your program have an idea of how to run your base schemes. I feel that terminology is as important, if not more, than the scheme itself. Defensively, I just stress tackling the teams at the level that I am coaching. Defensive alignment with me does not matter.

When you are in a blowout-type game, when do you pull the starters?

This is always a hard question, and truthfully, there is no correct response. However, I usually allow my starters to play in the third quarter. Then again, how do we define a blowout? That definition may be different for every coach. 

As the head coach, what do you do to help your players get recruited?

I use social media. Twitter. I send emails. I call. I use any and all resources that I have been blessed to be in contact with. I send out highlight videos. I attempt to have as much communication as I possibly can with college coaches. There is not a sure method, and in this phase of recruiting we are in, it’s become hard at the high school level. 

What mark did the 2023 class leave on the football program?

The mark that was left was the realization that the standard is the standard. This past season defined what Murray football is on the field and off the field. It set the standard! 

What change, if any, would you make when it comes to the playoff format in Kentucky?

The entry into the playoffs is definitely different. I would change the system to reflect how teams make the playoffs. I like when 1 plays 8 and 2 plays 7. And so on. That’s just an example. They can take 16 teams if they wish. 

Can you share with everyone any of the players from the 2023 class that have moved on to play football or any other sport in college, along with the school that they will be attending?

Ben Davis is going to Union.
Kainoa Olive is going to Lindsay Wilson.
Phalon’s Richardson is going to Greenville.
Wyatt Buffington is going to Bethel.
Kamden Hudspeth is running track at Campbellsville (he will play football as well).
Zavion Carmen will attend JC.

We had eight seniors, and six received scholarships.

We also have a 2024 commitment to Nebraska in Jeremiah Jones

What is a talent that you have that would shock your team?

I love to write.

Where is the best mom-pop place in the area to grab a meal?

Rudy’s 

Are you a fan of horse racing?

I cannot honestly say I have ever attended a horse race. However, I am a fan of the process. It doesn’t matter how the horse gets out of the start. All that matters is, at the midpoint of the race, how do you finish?

 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

My preliminary 2024 high school football regular season schedule

Small school football