2024 Interview with Qa’id Wilson from Aiken New Tech and Otterbein University commit
Qa’id Wilson
Aiken New Tech
Middle linebacker and right guard
2024
Otterbein University
You entered the 2023 season with a new team in Aiken after transferring from Purcell Marian. How long did it take for you to feel like you were part of the Aiken family?
As soon as I got there,. There are a lot of people there, so it’s pretty hard not to fit in somewhere.
For you, what were the biggest differences between the two teams?
The biggest difference between the Purcell team and the Aiken team was definitely the age of the team. Purcell had about 20 to 25 seniors that made up the team, and a good 15 of them had started a varsity game, but Aiken had a lot of juniors and sophomores that were playing this year, and some of them were in their first year of playing varsity football.
What were your personal goals for the 2023 season, and were you able to achieve those goals?
My personal goal was to make all conference and all city teams, but sadly, I didn’t get that chance.
Looking back at your high school football career, what do you think your biggest accomplishment was?
My biggest accomplishment was playing as much as I did. I played varsity my freshman year. I started seven games my sophomore year. I started on both sides of the ball my junior year. And in my senior year, I only came off the field on kickoff and kick return, so that’s definitely a lot of experience that comes with as much as I played.
What are you going to miss the most about playing football at the high school level?
What I will miss the most is playing at different schools. I like playing at different schools because I want to play someone new instead of the same eight teams every season.
What was the biggest lesson you learned from playing football that you can use off-field?
Being respectful is the biggest thing I learned, because you won’t ever get anything in life if you’re rude to people.
Who was the best player that you have faced in a game, along with the team he played for?
The best player I played was Tayshawn Banks, and he goes to Taft.
All-star games used to be such a big deal, almost an honor for the player. If you are invited to play in one, will you? Why or why not?
I personally would because I always wanted to play in an all-star game, and it’s also good to feel like you can play against other people who are considered top recruits in the state.
What do you feel you need to improve on the most as a player before moving on to play college ball?
I feel like I have to get more athletic.
What were your feelings as you walked off the field for the last time as a high school football player?
I was upset because we lost the game, so leaving because I felt like I was a loser wasn’t a good feeling.
Can you share with us some of the schools that recruited you?
I was recruited by Otterbein University, Judson University, Muskingum University, Ohio Northern University, Capital University, and Mount Saint Joseph.
What made you commit to Otterbein?
The love, passion, respect, and way Otterbein treated their players really made me feel like this is a place I can be for the next 4 years and be happy too.
What was the best and worst part of the recruiting process?
The best part about the recruiting process is the love you get from a lot of coaches and when you feel welcomed by the coaches who want you on their team. The worst part about the recruiting process is definitely not always hearing everything about the school. All the time, you get to see all the good about the school and rarely see the bad parts of it.
What scares you?
Snakes and mice
What was the last book you read, along with the author?
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Who is your favorite athlete?
Lebron James
🔥



Comments