2026 Getting to know new Cincinnati Eagles Head Coach Dan Kirby
Dan Kirby
University of Findlay MEd 98
Cincinnati Eagles
Spooky Nook -Champion Mill, Hamilton, Ohio
Head Football Coach
Coaching Tree
My Mentors: St. Marys Memorial, College Intern Coach, Head Coach Skip Baughman (Coaches HOF), 2 Ohio Div 2 State Titles 1990 & 1992. This time had a huge influence on me and has led to a 37-year career. Defensive Coordinator Bob Priddy also had a big impact on my growth as a coach and took me to coaches clinics. First teaching job was at Trotwood-Madison. Head Coach was former Miami Trace and Bluffton College QB, Bill Dennis. He exposed me to passing coming out of the Wing-T at St. Marys. Bill ran his form of Massillon Coach Lee Owens’ Run & Boot Option of the 1990’s. I got to coach phenomenal athletes like John Lumpkin, OSU TE & Basketball player, Andre Hutson, MSU Basketball player. Lima Senior, Head Coach Leonard Rush (Coaches Hall of Fame). Leonard was a Hamilton native, and I think about him every day now that I am coaching in Hamilton. Defensive Coordinator Rick Vaughn became my best friend and helped me increase my faith. Both men were excellent football coaches. I got to coach a Parade All-American, Bryan Andrews, Wake Forest, Alphonzo Townsend, MSU, and Jeremy Wright, Toledo. Lima Central Catholic & Lima Shawnee, I coached for soon-to-be (Ohio Coaches HOF) Jerry Cooper, where we were very successful, and I got to coach LCC’s present head coach, Colin Stolly, who was an absolute pleasure to coach and a natural leader inside the school and in all sports. I am so proud of him!! Also, our QB became the starting QB at MSU (Tyler O’Connor), who has the distinction of beating OSU, Michigan, and ND. What an accomplishment! I also coached a 2-way standout, Sam Huffman (Son of Ohio Speaker of the House) Played DB in the IVY league at Princeton. I would tease Sam that he would be the US President one day!
What was the first thing you said to the team once you met with them?
How thrilled that I was to be their coach and that I wanted a personal relationship with each player.
What offense will you run this season? Run & Boot Option: Lee Owens/Bill Dennis
What defense will you run? Multiple 4-3, 3-4
In covering the team as many times as I have in the past, I know the Eagles have played many OHSAA schools in the past. Will you continue this, and how will you go about getting your non-league schedule filled?
Yes.
This season will be: Adena, Dayton Ponitz, and Dayton Jefferson TWP,
who unfortunately just cancelled their season, so we are searching for a
game for Ohio Week 9, October 16/17.
Speaking in terms of the 2025 Eagles, they were really young? How many starters will you guys return on each side of the ball?
We are also very young! Offense: 7 Defense: 4
How will you go about running practices? Like times spent on the offense, defense, and the often forgotten kicking game?
Start
with special teams, offense, then defense each day. 2 hour practices at
Spooky Nook’s new turf field for 2 hours. Interesting, we overlook a
hill with goats and llamas grazing every afternoon!
What are your three Nonnegotiables as far as players playing for you?
Family-Faith-Fun is our mission statement
Would you share with the readers the areas the Eagles get their players from?
The entire Tri-State Area. Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio
In your opinion, why should a player join the Eagles?
There
are not too many ways out there that are better for turning boys into
men than playing high school football. Building something together with
your teammates, putting the team first, being a servant. Preparing for
manhood, increasing your faith. So many kids have issues with depression
today, and we have our own Chaplain for spiritual support. Also, we are
blessed with an excellent 5 Man coaching staff that is Christ-centered
and player-first. We coach the entire athlete,
What is the toughest part of coaching club football?
Just keeping in mind the 60/40 ratio rule because we get excited as coaches on getting a roster as fast as we possibly can, but it must be 60 Homeschool players first before we can accept players from public/private.
What is the most rewarding part of coaching club football?
Being able to openly share my love of Jesus Christ.
What was the last book you read, along with the author?
Book of Ezekiel in the Old Testament, NLT. I do the Bible App, Bible in a year. I try to stay 3 days ahead.
Did you watch any of the UFL games?
On TV, Columbus Aviators. I would like to take our entire
team to one of their games next season!
Outside of coaching, what are you doing for fun?
Follow my wife to garage sales and thrift shops. I look for sports memorabilia. I attend the Indy
500 every year. I was born in Indianapolis, and the month of May that speed gets in your blood.
And I’m a lifelong Bengals fan waiting for that elusive Super Bowl win!!!!
Comments