2025 Basketball interview with Rickayla Davis from Toledo Rogers

 


Name: Rickayla Davis

School/town: Toledo, Rogers

Positions played: small forward, shooting guard

Class: 2027

Height 5’9

Jersey Number: 2

Awards won or earned:

Freshman year: City League XC champs, City League Basketball Champs (district semis), City League track champions, Volleyball All City HM.

Sophomore year: 2x City League XC champs, 2nd team All City, 1st team All District, 3rd team OPSMA All-NW District, Dlll OPSWA All-Ohio HM for basketball.

Junior year: Volleyball All-City 2nd Team and HM All-District DIII.

HUDL LINK: https://www.hudl.com/profile/19841918/Rickayla-Davis

Other sports played:

Volleyball, Track, XC

Please post a small recap of last season with something like a big game you had, something about a certain game, something from a bus ride to or from the game, or something that sticks out from a practice.

Last season, a big game we had was against Ottawa Hills. We won by 5 that game. It was really a breakthrough game for me with 18 points.

How long have you played basketball, and who, or what got you started playing?

I’ve been playing basketball for, now, four years. I first started playing because of my friends, and then soon, my coach, Edwards, and parents encouraged me to continue playing, which helped me eventually fall in love with the sport.

What makes you keep playing the game?

My family and my friends. They motivate me and make the sport fun for me.

Which road gym do you like playing in the best, along with the reason why?

I liked playing in Maumee’s gym. I felt like it was really easy to shoot in and a good facility to play basketball in.

What is the toughest part of a Rogers practice?

The repetitiveness, despite doing something once, doing it multiple times is a mental part of practice. And it really teaches us to push through the soreness.

What will it take for the team to improve on the 10-12 mark from last season, including the 3-4 league mark?

Definitely better team chemistry and people to focus on. Last year we were a new team and rebuilding. Now that we have returning players and people who are focused, I feel like it’s easier for us to have a better record this year. And overall, fight harder than what we did last year.

What was the high point of last season?

A high point of last season was when I began to grow not only as a player but also as a person. I began being more of a leader and helping my teammates.

What will you miss the most from last year's graduated teammates?

Definitely the memories; I missed playing with the team from last year and having fun. Even though we had new people and were making a team, it was still memorable and fun to be on. We did many activities that we didn’t do my freshman year, and it was exciting.

What were you able to accomplish during the off-season to help improve your game?

Since I played AAU for Next Play under Coach Niki. It had really helped me on my post moves and shooting overall since I was mainly in the post, but I was also able to go out and still shoot overall. But it helped me be able to also play different positions and thrive in them.

What makes you a good teammate?

What makes me a good teammate is that I have fun making practice flow better and more energetic, but I’m also serious when I need to be. I joke with my teammates and try to always hype them up. And I don’t ever feel the need not to pass someone the ball. No matter the person, I’ll pass them the ball and have faith in them to score or do anything.

Who is the best player that you have faced in a game, along with the team she was on?

The best player I played against was Tatiana Mason; she played with Brush High School.

As a player, what do you think needs to be done differently to get more fans to show up for the games?

I personally think for more fans to show up is for them to get more involved in women’s basketball. And for our end, to be able to promote our games more and get the school to also help with that by going over the announcements. Therefore, our fans are able to hopefully spread this around and plan ahead to come to the games rather than know the day before.

Is it easier to play at home or on the road?

I think playing at home is easier than playing on the road. Because you already know the environment and rims better than you will any other rim. I also had some big games at home rather than away. And our crowd was pretty big at home games. So I would say playing at home is without a doubt easier than playing on the road.

What is your favorite class or subject?

Math

Who is your favorite athlete?

Zia Cooke

What is your go-to snack?

Lays potato chips or a granola bar.


 Follow me on X @HEARTLANDFAN15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting to know Perrin Cunningham Offensive Line Coach from Licking Heights

2024 Interview with QB/CB/P Brady Hyre from Harrison Central

2025 Interview with Carter Dreibelbis from Upper Dauphin (PA)