2024 in season interview with Columbus Crusader Zane Moses

 


Zane Moses

Homeschool

At the varsity level, I have played OLB and TE.

2025

What were your goals entering the 2024 season?

Coming into the year, I first and foremost wanted to win a 3rd GLCAC championship. We’ve won the past two years, and I want to complete the 3-peat. I also wanted to win all conference for the 2nd year in a row. But I also wanted to be a leader and a positive yet challenging influence on the team. I feel that God prepared me to be a leader this year, and I have stepped up to the challenge. 

After all of the practices were through, leading into week number 1, what had you learned about your team?

To be completely honest, I was not entirely sure what to expect. I could definitely see that we had enough talent to make up an elite squad, but we dealt with some consistency issues early in the summer. A lot of the guys who were here in July and August are no longer with the team. But I knew that I had a group of competitors. I was especially impressed with QB Reggie Harris and WR Patrick Green, who are both new additions this year. 

How did you come to play for the Columbus Crusaders?

I started playing flag football with the crusaders when I was a little kid, and when I was about to start middle school, the coach of the 7th and 8th grade team approached me about playing for him that year. I started playing tackle at 12 years old, and I have stuck with the Crusaders ever since. 

What makes playing for the Crusaders so special?

The Crusaders are special because of the culture that founder Mike Cheesman and head coach Kris Garner have built. The foundation of the organization is built around honoring Jesus and teaching men to be strong men of faith and integrity. We as players are held to very high standards of character and excellence. Winning a game isn’t good enough. We must represent the mighty name of our Lord Jesus. We are a winning culture. 

What is the toughest part of practice?

The toughest part of practice is probably playing scout team when needed. You’re mixed in with underclassmen, and you’re going head to head with the starting offense for rep after rep. To be honest, some of the toughest players to tackle that I’ve faced are on my own team, but that’s part of why I’ve been able to excel. 

What has been the most surprising start of the season?

One thing that stuck out to me this year is that I learned how difficult it is to be a team player. I’ve had to make a lot of sacrifices this year since being named a captain. I was not expecting it to be this challenging, but I’m up for it. 

Which team that you have faced so far this season has been the best, along with the reason you believe they were so good?

The best team was definitely the Northern Virginia Centurions. They have an elite passing game and incredible athletes. They were extremely competitive. When we played them, we had a lighting delay for about an hour, but that did not phase them at all. They escaped with a 50-42 win in a shootout with us. 

Who has been the best player that you have faced this season, along with the team he played for?

The best player was definitely Sheppard Jones. He’s a WR from Northern Virginia, a great route runner with strong hands. A lot of receivers I’ve faced can be weak and easily rattled, but this guy was ready to play and fight for every catch. He survived some midair hits from myself and other teammates and still came down with the catch. 

As a linebacker, which type of offense is the toughest to go up against? Explain

For me personally, an offense that can run a balanced offense and can disguise what they’re doing well. I always know I need to be on top of my game and disciplined with my eyes when a team can run anything out of any formation. 

What must you guys do as a team to finish the season strong?

We need to further unite. We’ve had some bad injuries in the last few weeks, and guys need to step up and play at a high level. We have the talent to win for sure, but it’s a matter of every player making the decision to put their personal interests aside and work as a team united by our faith in Christ. 

Of the remaining games, which one are you looking most forward to, along with the reason or reasons why?

I’m looking forward to hopefully playing against the Landmark Eagles one more time in the playoffs. I’m 6-1 in my varsity career versus the Eagles, and I want a rematch after our 19-18 loss to them earlier this month. They always play hard, and it’s a great game every time. I have a lot of love and respect for them, and they have the same for me and my team. 

What has been the highlight of your football career so far?

Last year in the GLCAC championship game against the Osceola Eagles, I had 2 strip sacks and 8 tackles. It was definitely the most fun game I’ve ever played, and it was the most important game of my career so far. 

What is your favorite class or subject?

I enjoy writing, public speaking, and psychology. 

Who are your role models?

I don't necessarily have one role model or mentor, but I’ve always admired Coach Mike Tomlin from the Steelers for being so calm and professional in every circumstance. I’ve always aspired to be a calm, strong presence, and he exemplifies that very well. 

What are your plans after high school? 

I plan to attend Liberty University next school year and study sports media and hopefully have a career in sports writing and/or broadcasting one day.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School

2024 Interview with the powerfully talented K’Vuone McNeal from Canton McKinley