2024 Interview with Brady Wharton from ATHENS H/S (106 TACKLES IN 2023)


 

Brady Wharton

Athens OH

Linebacker and tight end

2025

5’10 195

What will you remember the most from the 2023 season?

Winning our three rival games and just the guys in the locker room.

You personally had a very good season, registering 106 tackles, if I remember correctly. How much time do you spend watching films about your opponents with the team, then on your own?

I spend a lot of time watching films on my own and with the team. Through the school day, I’m constantly getting on Hudl anytime I’m free to watch the past week's game or the upcoming game, trying to improve myself and get an advantage on the team we have on Friday. 

What is the toughest part of preparing for the linebacker position?

I have a fun time with it, but I’d say play recognition. It’s easy when you know what’s going on to go make a play, so when you can recognize the play sooner and what will happen, you can get to your assignment and go make a play with your defense.

What is the strongest part of your game?

I’d say being able to attack the line of scrimmage and try to blow up the pulling guard or any leading blocker. It’s not always the funniest thing to do, but it’s necessary for your defense to have success and make a play.

Have you gone to any camps this off-season? If so, would you list some of them, as well as the biggest things you are learning?

I’ve gone to Pitt, John Carroll, Miami, OH, App State, and Ohio. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is that it’s not always about the skill; it’s about doing the little things right and being disciplined enough to do so.

Who is the best player that you have faced in a game, along with the team he played on? 
I’d say Dylan Armentrout for Bloom Carrol. He was very elusive and a good running back.

What is the toughest part of an Athens Bulldog practice? 

Our practices are pretty fast-paced, so just being mentally tough enough to make sure you are doing the right thing as an individual, team, and everything in between.

Would you rather play your rival opening weekend or week ten? Explain

Definitely week 10; there’s a lot more on the line, and there is more pressure on you to go out and perform.

Where should the state finals be held?

Canton is a pretty cool spot, but I liked it better when it was at OSU.

After the season is over, is it important for you to have earned an invite to one of the state all-star games so that you can showcase your talent?

It would definitely be cool, but as long as our team does well and makes a deep state run, that’s all I care about.

Why should a college coach recruit you?

I pride myself on being one of the hardest workers in the room. If one of my teammates had to describe me, I would want them to be able to tell someone honestly that I work hard and am a good leader.

If you are hearing from any colleges, could you name one or two? 

I’ve spoken to a good amount, including Ithaca, John Carroll, Baldwin Wallace, and a few more. 

Have you been to an Ohio Bobcat football game? 

I've always grown up around Ohio Bobcat football. I’ve always gone to just about every home game a year, and it’s definitely one of the cooler college atmospheres in Ohio.

Where is the best local mom-and-pop place to grab a meal?

Gigis. The food there is always solid.

Who are your role models?

My dad and uncle, for sure. They’ve shown me how to work hard, and if I want something, I should work hard and go and get it.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School

2024 Interview with the powerfully talented K’Vuone McNeal from Canton McKinley