2024 Interview with Olentangy Orange High School Head Coach Wesley Schroeder


 

Name: Wesley Schroeder

School Olentangy Orange High School

Position: Head Football Coach

College: University of Findlay
 
Could you list the coaching jobs you have had, from your first job to your current job?
 
I have been an assistant coach at Leipsic, Lima Senior, and Olentangy Liberty and head coach at Allen East, Granville, and now Olentangy Orange.

What was the first thing you said to the team when you met them?

My message has been pretty much the same at all three head coaching stops. We went through the players and coaches’ expectations, what it will take to be a contributing member in our program, and just about our mission to do our best to develop anyone within our program personally and athletically.

How hard is it to leave one job and take another? 
I don’t think hard is the right word; I think it is more uncomfortable. At the end of the day, I am going to do what is best for my family and my career. Nobody owes me anything, and I do not owe anybody anything other than respect and honesty. It is uncomfortable from the standpoint that I have developed strong relationships with the players and coaches in each program that I have been part of, and knowing that relationship is never going to be the same makes you feel a little uneasy.

Will you have an open competition as to who is starting, or will you stay with the returning starters?
 
Every position has to be earned through the kind of teammate they are, how hard they work, and their ability to compete on the field. More often than not, the returning starters do earn it, but we do not give anything out.
 
What offense and defense will you run?
 
We will be spread offensively and defensively.
 
Which coach or coaches have you learned the most from?
 
The most important thing I have done throughout my coaching career is learn from the people I have been around. Starting at Leipsic with Joe Kirkendall, followed by my time with Mike Fell at Lima Senior, and then at Olentangy Liberty with Steve Hale, Ed Miley, and Jeremy Arend. I was a sponge around these guys, watching countless hours of film, asking tons of questions, setting up meetings, running scout teams at practice—anything to learn more and understand their thinking. I have also learned a lot from my assistants during my time as a head coach.
 
I know this one is a hard one for coaches. Who have been some of the best players you have coached?
 
All of them.
 
I have asked a lot of coaches and players this question. Do you think or feel that private schools have an advantage over public schools?
 
There are obvious advantages; they do not follow the exact same rules that public schools do, but I do not agree at all with separate tournaments. In 2021, during the playoffs at Granville, we had to play Bishop Watterson, Desales, London (who beat Hartley in the round before), and Hamilton Badin in the state semi-final. I don’t think it would have meant as much if we didn’t have to play those teams.

What will you look for when it comes to scheduling non-league games?
 
I don’t think there is a ton of strategy at Orange when it comes to scheduling. I think we should always play against the other district schools (Berlin, Liberty, and Olentangy). Those three are always talented and very well coached. You play the district games and the league schedule, which I think our division is one of the toughest in the state, and now you have seven games against great players and great coaches, which will expose your weaknesses and prepare you for the playoffs. For the last three, you just have to figure out who is open and willing to play.
 
As the head coach, what will you do to aid your players in getting the chance to play college football?
 
We do our college showcase day, get player information out to coaches, set up college meetings or sessions to see our kids move, run, pass, catch, ect., and we have team meetings about how to make a highlight tape, social media presence, identify a school fit, and answer questions they have.
 
What will you do to see that your players are nominated to play in the all-star games at the end of the season?
 
Help players complete applications for those interested in or qualified to compete in one.
 
Where should the state finals be held?
 
I think they should be in central Ohio, being that it is centrally located for schools throughout the state. I know it is not realistic, but my dream would be for the historic crew stadium to be enclosed and hold football and all indoor championships there. I do believe Canton does a great job, and I may be a little biased being a central Ohio guy.

What is your go-to snack?

Beef jerky or peanuts
 
What college football match-up is your favorite to watch?
 
“The Game” has not gone Ohio State’s way the last 3 years but is my favorite because there is usually a lot on the line and it is always fun watching with friends and family.
 
Where is your favorite vacation spot?

We enjoy going to the Tampa area because we have family down there, great weather, and beaches.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School

2024 Interview with the powerfully talented K’Vuone McNeal from Canton McKinley