2024 Interview with Columbus Northland Head Coach Ryan Sayers

 Note: Each time I cover Northland Coach Sayers goes out of his way to speak with me and always treats me like I belong.

 

Name

Ryan Sayers

School

Northland High School

Position

Head Football Coach

College Attended

Ohio Dominican University 

What will you miss the most from the 2024 class?

Man, that is a tough question. I feel like, for me, I am going to miss their personalities. I had a group of guys that were so fun to be around; they worked their butts off for me and did everything I could ask from them! I am going to miss them more than they could imagine. That was my first 4-year group, and what we were able to accomplish was so special. 

Can you share with the readers any of the players from the 2024 class that are moving on to play college ball, along with the school they will be attending?

Zion Moffett, Ohio Dominican University 
Amir Brown, Ohio Dominican University
Bry’neil Jones, Lake Erie College
Jerid Jackson Rivera, Lake Erie College
Raphael Nnchetam, Otterbein University 

I have heard you say a few times on the podcast (we will get more into that later) that winning brings its own problems. Can you share with the readers just what that means?

I think I was just under the impression that winning would cure all, and then when we started to win, there were still issues with parents, playing time, and school stuff. Just in general, every school and every place has problems; they are just different. I also feel like winning can sometimes have a negative effect on athletes. We won all summer and then came out in the first game and lost by one point. That was a blessing because it got our kids rolling into a gear they had never been before. 

Forgetting the final score, how important was it for the Northland Vikings football team and school to host their first ever playoff game?

It was special because the school has been open since 1965, and for us to be the group to host the first ever home playoff game was just an accomplishment that we wanted to check off our list. Now, I feel like that has set the standard for us at Northland; we now expect to win games and put ourselves in a spot to host playoff games. No, we just have to flip that final score, and it would have been just that much better. 

Knowing that you are a defensive guy, what type of offense is the most troublesome to go up against? Explain

I would say teams that are versatile and can run multiple formations at us throughout the game give us the most troubles, like if a team can go under center and back to 5 wide, or even if they are switching a lot of personnel throughout the game from 12 to 21 personnel or even more, it gives us some troubles. Teams that are one-dimensional are the ones I find the easiest to prepare for and stop. 

I have asked a few coaches this question, so I will throw it at you too. When it comes to scheduling non-league games, what are you looking for as far as the matchup goes?

I would say we look for the games that are going to be the most competitive if we are talking just based on teams, but there are a lot of variables that go into play when creating your schedule. But for me, I really want us to play in games that are always going to be very competitive.

Who was the toughest team to prepare for during the 2023 season?

I would say the toughest team to prepare for was Big Walnut, as they had a really strong line up front, which they seemed to be able to push us around in the second half of the game, and they were very well coached with a great scheme. Offensively, they set up a lot of their plays and put their kids in great positions to win, and on defense, they were just fast and physical. They were a tough team overall.

What are your thoughts on girls playing on the football team?

I have nothing against it; I think it is a great opportunity, but my philosophy is that they will not get treated any differently than the males on the football field. I think another great way to get them involved is by having them be an assistant or team manager. We have a girl who does an amazing job for us and, to be honest, keeps me organized as a head coach. She is only a junior in high school, and all the students call her Coach A.

What was the biggest surprise to you after the 2023 season was over?

I think the biggest surprise to me was how well our kids handled the highs and lows throughout the entire season. Football season is a long year, and our kids did an amazing job handling all the ups and downs; they always came back ready to work no matter what. It just showed how much this team has grown and how much this team has changed the culture of the football program. These guys laid the foundation for years to come. 

What are your thoughts on players playing multiple sports?

I think kids should play all sports and compete all year long; focusing on one sport is so overrated and does not give the kids a chance to be kids! I support multi-sport athletes all the way.

Who was the best team you guys faced during the 2023 season, along with what made them so good?

I would say Big Walnut; they had great depth and some great players across the board, and they were also coached very well. Their kids played hard all game and never let up.

All-star games at one time seem to be an honor for a player to play in. These days, many players skip them. What do you tell your player, as far as playing in them or not playing in them?

I tell them that it is up to them, and then the ones going to college need to contact their college coach and get their feelings on the game.

You, along with two other coaches, have a really good podcast, basically about high school football. Could you tell the readers who your two partners are on the podcast and why everyone should listen to the podcast?

We are growing men, and we put a lot of work and pride into what we do. We are passionate about football and talking football. Everyone should listen because we have some amazing guests that come on, and we produce a lot of football information and content. My favorite night of the week to hop on and talk ball! (Coach Stout and Coach White) Podcast:614 Headsets

What was the last book you read, along with the author?

Lead for God Sake, Todd Gongwer

What is the one food you refuse to eat?

I absolutely cannot stand olives.

Will you watch any of the UFL games?

I have watched a bunch of them; when football is on, that means I am watching it, no questions asked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School

2024 Interview with the powerfully talented K’Vuone McNeal from Canton McKinley