2024 Interview with a man on a mission Jack McKinnon Dover High School 


 

Jack McKinnon

Dover High School 

O-line, D-line 

2025

6’3, 255 pounds 

What are you going to miss the most from the 2024 class?

Their leadership is by far the best.That senior class always pushed us both on and off the field. They pushed to be a player-led team, not coach-led. Meaning they took control of the team and held everyone accountable. Our coaches did not have to get on us or motivate us because they knew what had to be done to be prepared for any adversity.

You missed most of last season; can you let the readers know what your injury was and how the rehab has gone?

I broke my fibula on the third play of the first game and spent eight weeks in a boot. I went through physical therapy and was able to make it back for rivalry week and the playoffs in a limited role. I went back to the doctor at the beginning of my basketball season and learned that my leg had not fully healed. I was put back in a cast for another 6 weeks and was forced to miss my entire basketball season to give my leg time to heal. My leg is now fully healed, and I have been rehabbing since January.  I am making really good progress on getting back into shape and preparing for the upcoming season.

What are your goals for the 2024 season?

My biggest goal is to be a leader that the younger players can look up to on and off the field. The senior class set the standard for me last year, and I look forward to carrying the torch this season. I want to make sure I do my part to help our team beat our rival, make the playoffs, and continue the winning traditions of Dover Football.

What goals are you setting for your team?

Getting our team to come together and be a player-led team that holds each other accountable. To have long-term success, we need to work as one and play for each other. We want to make sure we beat the team from across the river and make a deep run into the playoffs. 

What is the best part of being a student-athlete at Dover?

We are blessed to live in a very giving and supportive community. Every Friday night, home or away, our community packs the stands. They always make sure we have the best equipment, facilities, and opportunities. The support they show us during the rivalry week is unlike any other environment. 

What is the toughest part of being a student-athlete?

The toughest part is also the most rewarding. Learning how to balance a school and sports schedule is difficult, but it teaches you time management and accountability, both of which are life skills we will need beyond the field. 

What have you been doing during the off-season to help you become a better player?

Working out with my team, attending speed and agility training sessions, and watching game tape to learn new techniques that I can carry over to this season. I also plan to attend a few camps this summer to work on my skill set.

Offensive or defensive line, which do you prefer to play?

That's a tough question. Defensively, I love getting after the ball and making tackles. The physicality needed by the defensive side is what sets it apart. The offensive side of the ball is very group-oriented; you have to work with your teammates to have success. Where the skill guys work to make big plays, the group of five up front has to work as a unit to make those plays happen.

Offensive or defensive line, which side of the ball is the hardest to prepare for? Explain

They are both equally challenging in their own ways. Offensively, each week you adjust your system slightly based on what type of defense you are playing and the skill set of that defense. Defensively, you have to study your keys each week to be ready for whatever is thrown at you.  As they say, “the game is won up front.”

Who is the best player you have ever faced in a game, along with the team he played for?

The running back from Kenston along with his offensive line. They had really good chemistry and technique.

I have been asking coaches and players these tough questions, and all but two have responded with their thoughts; the other two said no comment. Now for the questions. Do you feel that private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools?

There is a difference between private and public schools, but I am not sure I would classify it as an unfair advantage.

As a lineman, which is the worst weather to play in?

That question has an easy answer: heat. 

What is your go-to snack?

Cookies and yogurt cups

What was the last book you read, along with the author?

“Juror #1” by David Porter. It is a book my dad gave me about investing. 

What is your favorite video game? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

My preliminary 2024 high school football regular season schedule

Small school football