2024 Interview with Ian Felts from New Richmond High School

 


Ian Felts 

New Richmond High School

OLB/ DE

2026

5’11 165

What was the high point of the 2023 season?

As a team, after defeating Norwood Week 5 39-8, we were definitely on a results-driven wave. As the season slowed down and we started playing better competition, the results and process showed what kind of team we are.

What was the low point of the 2023 season?

Losing to Wapak 69-21 in the first round of the playoffs. There is not much to be said; they focused on the finer details leading up to that game better than we did.

What will you miss the most from the 2024 class?

Definitely the leadership. I would say there will only be a few standout leaders in the 2024 class. Guys like Senior Linebacker #8 Logan Cox and Senior Safety #15 Ty Centers always motivated the team to be better as a whole. 

What am I looking forward to this season?

Week 1: Bethel Tate is at home; nothing else is to be said. 

What are your personal goals for the 2024 season?

Personally, I feel as if I hadn’t had a stellar year last year. I would like to finish the season next year with 8+ sacks and 3+ turnovers. 

OLB, MLB, DE Of the three positions that you are listed as playing, which one do you feel you are best suited to play?

I would say being an OLB fits me best. In the defense we run, we do not have official DE's; we have off-ball linebackers who send pressure or play off the ball. I would say being able to read and react is a great skill I could have to be a better all-around player. 

OLB, MLB, DE Of those positions, which one is the hardest to prepare for?

The difference between an outside and middle linebacker to prepare for is very hard to differentiate. As I am primarily an outside linebacker, I receive more practice at said position; however, middle linebacker is harder on the body in my opinion as you are going up against, as I would say, the meatier portions of the offensive line. 

What has been your biggest moment as an athlete?

My first game starting varsity of my sophomore season was against the Bethel Tate Tigers. We are up 40–35 on their field. They’re driving down the field. We send a six-man pressure, and their senior quarterback dumps off the ball to their running back, and he is running down the field. He fumbles the ball, and I recover it, sealing the victory. 

Where should the state finals be held?

Canton, Ohio, no doubt it. 

What is the strongest part of your game?

The strongest part of my game would have to be my ability to shed blockers. I’m not anything crazy big, but film will show I can shed a block from a running back, guard tackle, et cetera.

What is the best part of being a student-athlete at New Richmond High School?

There is no town around that would have half of its residents go to Wapak or, previously, Tecumseh, two both decently far away schools. On Friday nights, seeing the whole town in the stands and my girlfriend wearing my number and the band, the whole atmosphere is truly amazing.

What is the toughest part of being a student-athlete at New Richmond High School?

Nothing is truly that hard about being a student athlete at NR, but the hardest part is the pressure to show up and show out for my town. There is nothing worse than losing at home in front of loved ones and friends.

What is your favorite sports movie?

Varsity Blues or Coach Carter can’t decide.

What was the last book you read along with the author?

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Have you ever been to a Bengals game?

Me and my family have season tickets to watch our Bengals. Who dey!




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

My preliminary 2024 high school football regular season schedule

Small school football