2024 Interview with Andrew Pickenpaugh from Monroe Central High School


 

Andrew Pickenpaugh

Monroe Central

Right Tackle, Defensive Tackle

2025

In 2022, Monroe Central posted a 2–8 record. This past season, you guys finished 7-5, including a playoff win over South Gallia. What were some of the reasons for such a nice turn-around?

I think one of the biggest reasons we were able to make a turnaround was because of the starters from the 2022 season that we had returning. We were a young team that year, with most of our starters being underclassmen. As we gained more experience and momentum in the offseason, we were able to take that and transition it into the 2023 season. We also had a few changes to the coaching staff. We hired a new head coach, brought in new line and special team coaches, along with promoting our old line coach to DC and bringing back Coach Schuerman to help with the defense. Coach Circosta also helped in a big way and served as a mentor to us. These changes to the staff, I felt, helped propel us into a successful season.

How important was it for the program to not only get a home playoff game but to win it?

It was huge for the program. Aside from hosting a game in 2020 (the year everyone made the playoffs), that was the first time in over a decade that we hosted a home playoff game. Winning that game meant a lot to not only the team but to the community as well.

What were your personal highs and lows of the season?

I would say my personal highs this season were hosting a playoff game and beating the teams that my class had not previously beaten (Buckeye Local, Shadyside). And my personal low was when I contracted COVID going into week 4. Although I was mostly asymptomatic, I still had some shortness of breath, which was a huge setback for me because I already had to miss a day or two of practice, and then when I returned, I wasn’t able to go 100% for a few days.

Last year, you spoke about how you talk to classmates about all of the good things that come from being on the football team. Were you able to get anyone to come out for the team?

Yes, we were able to get quite a few kids to come out this year. We had around 40 kids sign up initially, but ended up with 28 on the roster come week 1. 28 kids is huge for us, as we’re used to having less than 20 kids. We were able to field a JV team this year, which helped the younger players get some experience.

Last year, during our interview, you spoke about how important it is for Monroe Central to defeat Frontier. You guys were able to do just that. I know they struggled last year; do you feel that takes away from the win?

Personally, I don’t think it does. As Coach Calder would tell us, it doesn’t matter what the team’s record is. We still need to execute and play as hard as we can. That goes for every team we play for. You have to fight for each and every win.

Looking at just the regular season games you lost, which one hurt the most, along with the reason why?

The game was against River. Going into halftime, the score was 22-20. The game was pretty neck-and-neck up until that point. We didn’t have a great second half and ultimately ended up losing 44-26. I think the fact that we were one half away from achieving a goal that we’ve had for multiple years is what stings the most. This will only fuel us for next year’s matchup.

Have you attended any camps, or do you plan on attending any camps to improve your game? If so, can you tell all of us which camps?

Yes. I attended a camp at West Liberty last year and plan on going to some more if the opportunity comes.

Have you heard from any schools about playing at the next level?

No

Last year, during our interview, you stated that you like playing on the offensive side of the ball more. You play center and right tackle; if memory serves me, of those two positions, which one do you enjoy playing the most?

I’d say right tackle. I like to downblock.

What are you going to miss the most from the 2024 class?

The leadership. Those guys were a huge reason why we were able to rally back when faced with adversity in some close games this year. (Shenandoah and South Gallia) They will be missed; however, I feel like myself, along with the rest of my class, will transfer over to that leadership role and hopefully have the same effect on the younger guys next year.

What has been your most embarrassing moment on the field?

False starting. It costs the team 5 yards. Nobody wants to see that.

What was the last book you read along with the author?

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie

What genre of music do you like the best?

A close one between country and hip-hop. I probably have to give it to hip-hop, though.

Who is your favorite athlete?

C.J. Stroud


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

My preliminary 2024 high school football regular season schedule

Small school football