2024 Interview with Kade Estep from Wayne HS (WV)


 

Name: Kade Estep

School: Wayne HS (WV)

Positions played: WR/SS 

Graduating year: 2025

Height and weight: 6’1 170 lbs

How long have you played football, along with the reasons you continue to play?

I’ve been playing football since 2nd grade. It’s been a blessing to play for this long, and I thank the Lord for it. I play for the love of the game, for how unpredictable it is, for how competitive it is, and because I seriously have some of the best times of my life once my cleats hit the field. 

What are your goals for the 2024 season?

A state title for my guys and me is my number one goal. For number 2, it’d have to make the playoffs. A few personal goals of mine are to be an all-state selection, lead my team in receiving yards, and even try to set a school record. 

Where on the field do you feel you are best at?

Definitely a wide receiver. I’ve always felt that my skill set on the offensive side of the ball outweighed my defensive one. 

What is the strongest part of your game?

The strongest part of my game would have to be either route running or hands. I feel as though I am a very sure-handed receiver, but I’ve put a ton of work into my route running this off-season, and I’m ready to showcase that. 

Which part of your game must you improve on to become a better player?

Speed. Speed kills. The game of football these days is played with speed, and a lot of guys consider a 4.7 to be slow. I definitely need to get my speed up. 

Can you share with everyone some of the camps you have attended or will attend and the biggest things that you are learning from the camps?

I’ve been to the University of Charleston, Marietta College, Mount St. Joseph, and a few others. I plan on attending the University of Pikeville’s prospect camp on June 21st and Denison University’s on July 13th. 

What is the toughest part of practice?

The hardest part of practice is probably conditioning. I would definitely say I’m in shape, but the more in shape you get, the harder you need to push yourself. Pushing myself to go faster and finish first in conditioning is the most difficult part of practice for me. 

What has been your biggest moment as a football player?

My biggest moment was my first high school touchdown. My first catch in high school was a 40-yard touchdown, and it was an unreal feeling. 

Where should the state finals be held?

In my opinion, the championship should be played at either Marshall University or WVU, but Charleston’s Laidley Field is also a great choice. It’s honestly a huge stadium, and the turf is new, so it feels great. The rest of the sports championships are held in Charleston, so it just makes sense for football to be played there too. 

Does West Virginia need to add a fourth class to help the smaller schools have a legit shot at winning the state?

We are actually adding a fourth class this season! A lot of schools are still in the same class, but some AA schools moved up to AAA and some A schools moved to AA.

If you are invited to play in the North vs. South game, will you?

For sure. I think the North-South game is a great football tradition we’ve got in the state, and I would love to play in it. 

Would you share with everyone some of the colleges that are recruiting you?

I’ve got offers from Mount St. Joseph and Denison University. I’ve been talking to a few coaches from Charleston, Marietta, Capital University, Glenville State, Gettysburg College, and a few others. 

What is your favorite type of music?

I love rock music. Grunge rock and “dad” rock specifically. I love Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Deftones, Seether, etc. I also love rap music. Kendrick Lamar is my favorite artist of all time. I usually listen to a mixture of both before games and camps to get myself in the right mindset. 

What is the one sport that you cannot watch on TV?

I honestly hate watching basketball on TV. I’m not sure at all what I find so unbearable about watching basketball on TV, but I can’t do it. I love being part of a basketball crowd, though. Games in real life are great. 

Where is the best local spot to grab a meal?

Cam’s ham is phenomenal. If anyone is ever in the Huntington area,. I advise you to get a large ham sandwich with their sauce. It’ll be the best sandwich you'll ever eat.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

My preliminary 2024 high school football regular season schedule

Small school football