2024 interview with Avery Holt from Lakewood High School


 

Name: Avery Holt

School: Lakewood High School

Positions played: Quarterback, kicker, punter, linebacker, defensive end, defensive back

Graduating year: 2025

Height and weight: 6’2”, 210 pounds

How long have you played football, along with the reasons you continue to play?

I have been playing football for 3 years now. I continue to play because I have loved this game since before I played, and playing has made my love and passion for it grow tremendously.

What is the best part of being the quarterback for the Lakewood Rangers?

The best part is being the quarterback for Lakewood.

What is the toughest aspect of playing quarterback?

The toughest aspect of playing quarterback at Lakewood was coming in last year with the new coaching staff and having to change and improve the culture of a program that hasn’t been the best in the last two decades.

For you, what is the toughest type of defense to face? Explain

There isn’t really a tough defense to play against. I put hours of film work in before the game, and I get a good look at the scout team so that when it does come time to play the game, I can pick them apart.

What is the strongest part of your game?

The strongest part of my game is the mental part. Reading defenses and picking them apart comes easy to me because of my soccer background.

What are you doing during the off-season to become a better player?

I’m constantly working to get stronger and faster. All my lifts have increased by at least 40 pounds, and all my combined times have gotten half a second faster. I also worked on my throwing mechanics to make me a more efficient passer. I’m doing everything I can to lead my team to a successful season.

What is your favorite play to run?

I don’t have a favorite play to run. I just love running the offense.

Who is the best player that you have ever faced in a game, along with the team he played for?

I’ve played against many good players, but the overall best player I’ve played against was Semaj Morgan. This was at my old school, Stoney Creek High School. Semaj played for West Bloomfield High School. It was a close game, and we punted it away to him, and he took it 80 yards to the house and changed the game in a blink of an eye. Semaj now plays for the University of Michigan.

If you are invited to play in any of the statewide all-star games, will you? Why or why not?

I would definitely play in one if I was invited. That is a once-in-a lifetime opportunity. Not many players can say they got the chance to play in an all-star game.

As a quarterback, what is the worst type of weather to play in?

I don’t really have a favorite type of weather to play in. I adjust my game, and our coaches adjust the play calls to give our team the best chance at success.

With this being your final high school season, are you preparing any differently?

I am putting a lot more time into getting stronger and faster so I can have breakaway speed in the open field. I’m putting a big emphasis on film study. I’m looking back at the past season to see what mistakes I made so I can correct them and they do not reoccur again this season.

Have you spoken to any colleges about playing at the next level? If so, would you name a few of them?

I have talked to colleges about playing at the collegiate level. A few schools I have spoken to are Kent State, Hillsdale, Tiffin University, Mount Union, and the University of Connecticut.

Have you ever been to a Lake Erie College football game?

I have not been to a Lake Erie College football game before.

Where is the best spot in town to grab a bite?

I don’t eat out a lot, but when I do, my go-to place is just the local chipotle.

Outside of sports, what do you do for fun?

I go to the gym a lot in my free time, and I also hang out with my two best friends, and we workout together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School

2024 Interview with the powerfully talented K’Vuone McNeal from Canton McKinley