2024 Interview with a rising star who is a two-way lineman from Jackson High School Colsen Oyer

 


Colsen Oyer

Jackson High School

Tackle, Guard, Defensive Tackle

2025

6’1 260lb

What are you going to miss the most from the 2024 class?

I will miss the great guys from that class who were amazing leaders and teammates. They set a standard for the whole team that we need to live up to in the upcoming season.

What are your goals for the 2024 season?

Some of my goals for the 2024 season are to go undefeated in the regular season, win the FAC title for the 4th straight year, and win a regional championship.

Who is the toughest teammate to face in practice, and what makes it so tough?

I’d say the toughest teammate to face in practice is Jake Allen, one of our offensive linemen. He’s a big, talented player who gives 110% every play, so it’s always a great challenge going against him when I’m on the defensive side of the ball. 

What game or games are you looking forward to the most this season? Explain

The game I look forward to playing the most this season would be Ironton. We faced off against them last year in a game where we didn’t play like ourselves. I and the rest of my team know we could’ve played much better. This is why we have been preparing all off-season and will continue to prepare into the summer so that we can execute much better this time around. 

Just focusing on the road games you have played, which stadium had the best overall atmosphere, and what made that so?

As far as road games go, I think the best overall atmosphere would be at Ed Miller Stadium in Wheelersburg. It’s a great rivalry between us, and the atmosphere during those games is always electric on both sides.

With this season being your final high school season, will you prepare any differently?

Yes, I have been and will continue to prepare differently than I have before. I treat every day in the weightroom like it’s my last because I never know when something could come up and I may never get the chance to do it again. Another aspect of my weekly routine that has helped me physically improve beyond anything I have ever achieved is AP Prep in Chillicothe. They’re excellent at what they do, and I would highly recommend every athlete attend.

Offensive line or defensive line, which is the toughest to prep for?

I’d say both sides of the line are equally difficult to prepare for. Both require immense amounts of upper and lower body strength to constantly move people off the line during the game. Hand placement and hip explosion are also two things that I work on constantly as I prepare for the upcoming season. These are crucial and can make or break you during a game.

What is the worst type of weather for a lineman to play in?

In my opinion, the worst type of weather for a lineman to play in is the rain. Everything becomes really slick, which makes it very hard to grab your opponent on either side of the line.

If you could add a game to your schedule, who would it be along with the game you would drop?

If I could add a game to my schedule, it would be Portsmouth West. They’re a great program, and I would’ve enjoyed the challenge of facing them on a Friday night. I don’t really have a game I would drop; I enjoy playing against all teams on our schedule.

The game is on the line; which side of the ball do you want to be on? Explain

If the game is on the line, I would prefer to be on the defensive side. When the game is on the line, something just switches in me, and I’m able to move and attack much faster. It’s the feeling of having your back against the wall that really drives you to be more aggressive and get through reads much faster in order to reach the quarterback or run back.

If you are invited to play in any of the statewide all-star games, will you?

I would definitely participate in any of these games because it’s a great opportunity to challenge other players who have great skills. It would also give me more exposure to college recruiters.

Have you heard from any college coaches? If so, would you name a school or two?

I have not heard from any coaches at the moment, but I am hopeful that will change once I show my skills at various camps this summer.

I have asked a lot of players and coaches this question, and all of them have answered it, with the exception of three, who just said no comment. The question is, do you think private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools?

I do not think private schools have an unfair advantage over public schools. Jackson, for example, is a public school. I know we work extremely hard all year long, which gives us an edge during our games. Putting in the work and making every rep count both in the weight room and on the field takes public and private out of the question when it comes to matchups, in my opinion. 

Where is the best local spot to get a good meal?

The best local spot to get a good meal would be Arch and Eddies. My personal recommendation would be the walleye sandwich. 

What is the one sport you cannot watch on TV?

One sport I can’t watch on TV is soccer. It just isn’t very intriguing to me. 

Who are your role models?

My role models are my parents, coaches, and most importantly, the Lord. He is my main role model, and I strive to live a life that honors him every day.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 With Head Coach Jake Heigel from Brockway High School, PA.

2024 Interview with TJ Carper Zanesville High School Head Football Coach

2024 Interview with Braylon Sturgill from Ironton High School